Tuesday, September 30

Life Shock


Recently I would say that although I am doing well in life and having a blast travelling every which way and buying things like persimmon trees and cardigans, I am definitely in a period of extreme adjustment.

First off, the obvious, the culture shock. My culture shock has been pretty mild altogether. Even though I've only been here a few months, I had been here before. There haven't really been things about Japan bothering me. There is the difference in social manners which takes some getting used to. I don't think I'll ever get used to people brushing their teeth at their desk. And I myself still don't properly perform all table manners and social graces.

I'm working on it though. Two of the most useful phrases in Japanese are "o tsukaresama (deshita)" and "yoroshiku onegaishimasu". The first literally means "You must be tired" But is usually used as "Thank you for your hard work" Situations where you might hear someone say "otsukaresama deshita" to you:

-You leave work for the day
-You come back from an out-of-office business meeting
-You get off a bus or train or airplane
-You perform any sort of action which may benefit someone else or yourself

And "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" basically comes out to "please treat me kindly" and it follows any request or action which may cause any social disharmony whatsoever. "I am taking a day off, yoroshiku onegaishimasu" or "Would you make a worksheet? yoroshiku onegaishimasu" and the most awesome, "I'm glad to meet you, yoroshiku onegaishimasu"

Honestly, if you learned those two phrases, the basic greetings, and "shitsurei shimasu" (I am rude, used when entering or leaving rooms, homes, etc, and for saying "excuse me" to people) you would probably come across as fluent. Because sometimes it seems like that's all people really need to say!

Back to the topic, after that tangent, I am facing adjustments beyond culture shock. It's like this whole change from college to work, (work shock?) and the switch from living with people to living alone (LONELY SHOCK). Like many of my difficulties adjusting to work have less to do with the Japaneseness, and more to do with the fact that I just got out of college. And many of my lonely moods have more to do with the fact that I live alone than the fact that I live alone in Japan.

Taken as a whole picture though, I really am doing well. I'm proud of myself and I feel like every day I accomplish something for myself or someone else. I would tell myself "otsukaresama" if I was allowed to!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The most bizarre thing I ever saw in Saihaku-cho was when I was sitting in a restaurant (can't remember the name, and I don't know if it's still there) and looked out the window to see a guy peeing into the field directly across from me. There's always something. ;)

But, seriously, this is a terrific post, and not to go all sempai on you, but if you know that a lot of what's going on has to do with the newness of being out of college and on to a new part of your life, you're doing incredibly well. It really can be hard going from friends and family to being on your own, and it's especially tough when you're doing it overseas. One thing that always helped me, if you're not already doing it, was to rent movies that had good associations when I was feeling especially disoriented or otherwise down. It can be incredibly grounding and remind you of who you are deep down...

I'm babbling. But I mostly just wanted to say it sounds like you're doing just fine and handling the inevitable stresses of being where and when you are incredibly well.

inkawasaki said...

otsukaresama desu!!

Everyone in my building says that to each other when they see each other in the elevators etc.

Yeah, must be a pretty dramatic adjustment, kind of a tough first move after college. Hopefully you'll like it more and more, the more you stay. :)

Ne, I was still thinking about going up to Tottori... I notice there's a public holiday on November 3. I could fly over on the 2nd and stay overnight, then come back on the 3rd. Just an idea. But if you're not free that weekend, no problem. :)

Jessica said...

Actually I was gonna come up to Tokyo that weekend, from Oct 31-Nov 4. Taking a bit of time off to see it with a friend. If you'd like we could meet up at some point in your neck of the woods or in Tokyo?