Thursday, September 4

Freakish mutant insects.


Ahhhh Japan. Beautiful mountains, gorgeous coastline, rich verdant valleys, and giant man eating bugs of doom.

If you thought Mothra was just something someone made up, let me tell you. Mothra is real. He`s real and he flew in my face this morning. Well, if I`m exagerating, it`s only slightly. Mothra wasn`t the size of a small mountain, only twice the size of my fist, but I think we can all agree that that qualifies as freakishly big on the moth size scale.

I have trouble convincing my Japanese colleagues and friends ("But everything in America is bigger!" is the frequent refrain) but the truth is that the insects of Japan are in a class all their own. Beetles the size of your fist. Moths the size of your face. Dragonflies with a wingspan larger than 6 inches. Hornets that make the American ones look like babies.

This isn`t to imply I`m running around like a little girl crying over them, and in fact I find the insects here fascinating most of the time. I just wanted to let you know that Mothra was probably inspired directly by the gigantic moths that actually live here, and same with that one Japanese cartoon "Blue Gender" I saw where giant bugs take over earth and kill all the humans.

Lastly, I`m currently in a protracted war with no end in sight with the spiders that live on my balcony. Every time I destroy their webs of evil, they return stronger than before, bewebbing my garden and balcony the second I turn my back. I may have to surrender to them eventually.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I saw a cicada in the bike parking lot the other day the size of a bird. No, bigger. It was buzzing around and bouncing off the pavement. I thought it was an injured bird until I went up to it and saw it was UGLY.

アレクサンドラ said...

What I immediately thought of while reading this was the spider Alan found in the guys bathroom of the Seminar House. This this was the size of my hand and look like it could KILL you. Actually, here's a picture of it with a 1 yen coin by it to show just how big it is. Hope it works!:

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v17/79/44/88201000/n88201000_30141805_8086.jpg

Micquilter said...

You will conquer the spiders, I have faith in you!!

Anonymous said...

Spring is centipede season, and they're huge there. And they bite and come in pairs (as everyone will be happy to tell you). If you see one (they like to come out on dry, windy days), kill it.