Thursday, March 5

Studying geography makes my dorky soul happy.

I picked up some Japanese study materials for young Japanese kids and I am loving the geography one. Today I spend about an hour learning the names of various places in Japanese. I learned the word for 'People's Republic'. I learned that Yonaguni is the westernmost island of Japan. I learned that Japan considers the disputed South Kuril islands as theirs enough to put them in their children's books sans 'disputed territory' comment.

I find the name of North Korea in chinese characters kind of strange. 朝鮮民主主義人民共和国 If you can't see it don't worry, but it repeats a character twice in a row.

North Korea in Japanese is 'Chosen Minshu Shugi Jinmin Kyouwa Koku' ...the official name. The more typical name would be 'Kita Chosen', while South Korea is called 'Kankoku' Official name for South Korea is 'Daikan Minkoku'

Scuse me, I finally have some classes to go to so I can't keep geeking about geography.

2 comments:

ジョーイ・エドワーズ said...

Coming from a Geography background...you comments made me smile. Thanks...from Fort Worth!!!!

Joe

(^_^)

Micquilter said...

Cool the way you throw the Japanese characters into your blog. I am glad you are still interested in geography, always was one of your favorites. Remember 'Carmen Sandiego" computer game!!!
Love, Mum