Monday, March 9

I can cook! うまっ!

Tonight I finally got the chance to go cook dinner with Hara-san, a member of my "old ladies eikaiwa" group.

"Most young women in Japan probably don't know how to cut up the squid. I must teach my daughter how to do it before she gets married."


We're trying to make thin egg sheets in the egg-pan...there was a bit of failure on that part but it still tasted like EGG so, win-win! ちょっと大失敗なんだのに、結局に同じ味があったから、大勝利だったね!


"When you are preparing the tempura batter, don't mix it too well." This is one of my favorite tempura articles - Japanese "pumpkin" called "Kabocha". イカを揚げたときに、怖いほど油が飛んだ。イカは水っぽいだからぜ。


THE FINISHED MEAL! (From upper left, in a clockwise manner: Miso soup with Tofu and Wakame seaweed, Shaved Daikon "oroshi" and soy sauce for dipping the tempura, Chirashi-zushi (sushi rice with simmered carrot and Shiitake mushroom mixed in, topped with shredded egg, shrimp, and some random greenery.), spinach and crushed sesame seed salad, "nagaimo" and seaweed salad (slimy yet satisfying), and finally, tempura.

It was WAY TOO MUCH food and yet if I had to eat it all again, I would. I would eat it all.

I can make all these things now!

原ママは私に教えた料理を作れるようになってきた!これから、お客さんとかあったら、もっとおいしい日本料理を作れるから良かったね。

4 comments:

ジョーイ・エドワーズ said...

I have a friend teaching in Kyushu and he has not picked up much skill in cooking Japanese foods. Maybe you should give him some pointers!

The ika looks yummy. Good job.

Micquilter said...

It all does look very yummy! I am very happy you are learning to cook Japanese, when you are home we will have fun preparing them together. It is always fun to learn new things.
You may give Hara-san my love and best wishes, I am thankful she is there to be a "Mom" to you.
Love, Mum

satoshizzle said...

こりゃあ旨そうだー

Jessica said...

いつか智史のためにおいしい料理を作る!